?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Skirt of Snakes - Would You Like a Rust Sandwich? [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
Would You Like a Rust Sandwich?

[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

Skirt of Snakes [Jul. 5th, 2006|08:44 pm]
Would You Like a Rust Sandwich?

realmofmother

[_monsters_]
It's dusk now, and the sun is just below the horizon. The last trills from the waterbirds and thrushes' songs are dying down, and the mist is high on Lake Toluca tonight. The air is clear and fresh, if damp from the fog, and from where you are, you can see lights twinkling both to the north and south, and a lighthouse off to the west.

The island is small, with maybe the square footage of a gas station or large house. There's a wooden dock at one end, deep green algae comfortably covering the posts, but no boat is anchored. Tall pines and firs have taken root, mosses and tough-edged grass and a bed of needles covering rock beneath your feet. Upon arrival, Eileen sighs and gestured to one of the distant clusters of lights blinking blue through the fog. "Well... there you go. Silent Hill."

A bit of walking around may stir up the bed of needles enough, though, to reveal that the rock beneath them may not be so solid as you'd think. A keen eye might notice something etched into it at one point. Clearing the needlebed away would reveal a symbol about six feet from one end to another, apparently cut into the rock. A large indentation in the center of the symbol gathers shadow.





(( OKAY FOLKS here is the last BRIEF chance for IC questions etc before dangerdanger. Leon's player is not here, but assume that Leon is. Since y'all shall be going into the fray shortly, here's whassup.

Please only read the posts that are for your team! We r trusting u!
Team 1 is the Henrys, John, Roger, and Eileen. Your post is "Vidya." Once you've completed that world, you go to the post called "Meter Oreie."
Team 2 is Abe, Derek, Lina, and Lobster. Your post is "Yam Kinneret." Once you've completed that world, you go to the post called "Uatchet."
Team 3 is Hellboy, Kate, Warren, and Leon. Your post is "Garland of Letters." Once you've completed that world, you go to the post called "Betrayal of Mistletoe."

All teams must complete an objective that will keep people alive (such as, say, "Find Liz!" or "Find a way to make sure that killing Walter doesn't kill everyone!" or "Obtain a key ritual implement to kill Walter with!") and complete your two posts by July 19th. A final event will take place on July 20th, hopefully not running over into July 21st, but that's possible.

If you have any questions, feel free to poke one of us modly types. If you'd like to have a ghost or monster NPCed, there are several of us available who you can ask at any time! NPCs are available on AIM as firestarterliz, ScaryRPer, and bekalabird. If you want an extra Walter attack, he is available on AIM as salucci123. ))
linkReply

Comments:
[User Picture]From: unbroken
2006-07-06 02:00 am (UTC)
He clears away the pine needles and takes a closer look at the symbols. "Hey, guys, here's the circle...what're the symbols on the outside and inside? They look familiar."
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: thefireofasaint
2006-07-06 02:03 am (UTC)
John scuffs a few steps forward to look where Eileen indicated, frowning and quiet and practically reverbating with anxious aggression. He's a little too restless to be observant to notice what's right beneath his feet; hopefully he'll calm down by the time this sort of oversight will get people hurt.

"...?" He glances at Henry and helps with the needles some, looking. "The three wavy lines, doesn't that usually denote water?"
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: htownshend
2006-07-06 02:06 am (UTC)
He turns away from the lake to crouch down next to the symbol, staring at the outside symbols. "T...S..." He recognizes some of them. He has been looking at a lot of runes lately.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: eileen303
2006-07-06 02:09 am (UTC)
Eileen squints at them in the dark before thinking to take out her flashlight. "Enatsh?" She stops and shakes her head. "God, no, idiot, what am I saying. Atshen. That's that name again. It starts there and ends there. Ah, en." She points at the wave at the top, with a letter above and below it. "Water, huh..." She stands up and frowns at the thing. "If the other letters are about this size, how many back from the wavy thing do you think this odd one is... Or no, maybe, if the letters are a little bigger..." She gets down and starts counting out the space in the circle using handwidths.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: unbroken
2006-07-06 02:17 am (UTC)
He looks down at the circles, pointing out the weird inner symbol on the left. "Why is this one here? Should that be a...I don't know. You'd think that'd be important somehow...but that's not the start of a word, right? It's just an 'e'."
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: dreams_of_fish
2006-07-06 02:59 am (UTC)
Eileen and Henry's observations attract Abe's attention, who stands a short distance away. Deciphering weird rituals through research is his field... Well, was before he went into an extended leave. Let's see if he can remember how.

"Just an 'e', huh..." He echoes after Henry, approaching the circle and kneeling down on the free side of it. His hand reaches out to tap on the symbol. "The way it's placed... It's the only asymmetrical symbol in the group. I think it means something. Maybe an indicator..."

He then reaches out to the three curved lines, pointing at them.

"And this. The way it's located between the 'a' and 'n' in 'Atshen'." Abe narrows his eyes slightly, a thoughtful hmm escaping his lips. "In many cultures, names that cause misfortune are replaced with protection symbols in writing. It's supposed to nullify their malicious influence. Which means..." He looks up at Henry. "...This could mean 'Atshen' on is own."
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: eileen303
2006-07-06 03:37 am (UTC)
Writing using a fire-blackened branch, the symbols are completed and nothing seems to happen.



Seems to, anyways. If you should look more closely, what was a shadow in the middle of the thing is now more than that. A hole, with no visible shaft or end.

((Jumping or stepping into it will take you to the start of your team posts.))
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: lina_inverse
2006-07-06 03:38 am (UTC)
"Alright, let's get him!!"

Lina is so going full-bore into this!
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: lobsters_claw
2006-07-06 03:42 am (UTC)
Lobster's already gone, having faded into invisibile intangibility to pass into the hole.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: unbroken
2006-07-06 03:40 am (UTC)
Henry's one of the first. He doesn't say anything, just looks to everyone, turns and steps into the hole.

Here they go.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: eileen303
2006-07-06 03:54 am (UTC)
Eileen waits until most of the others have gone through. To make sure that they do get through, but there's a sizable amount of trepidation involved here, too. She can make herself do this, certainly. It just... takes a little time, that's all.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: htownshend
2006-07-06 03:59 am (UTC)
He waits till almost everyone's gone too, then he looks towards Eileen. "Are you ready?" His heart flops down to his stomach somehow. This is it- after they do this, they'll be there.

He holds out a hand to her- that didn't help last time, but this is a bit different situation. And he won't go through another one of these things without at least trying to make sure they stay together.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: eileen303
2006-07-06 04:02 am (UTC)
She smiles, just a teeny bit, and her reply is a hoarse whisper. "No. Stay with me." She holds onto his hand with both of hers, squeezes her eyes shut, and steps over the edge.

She resists the temptation to pray
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
From: nocurseddoilies
2006-07-06 04:08 am (UTC)
Kate approaches hesitantly, but steps through calmly.

One probably wouldn't notice that she's trembling unless they were looking quite closely.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: governmentninja
2006-07-06 04:30 am (UTC)
"Time to go, I guess..." Leon takes out his gun anyway, despite knowing it won't do him a great deal of good where he's going. Holding it ready he stepped into the hole...
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: lina_inverse
2006-07-06 02:03 am (UTC)
Lina's here and ready - she's been ready for a while, actually - weeks, if truth were told.

(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: lobsters_claw
2006-07-06 02:05 am (UTC)
Lobster Johnson is also here, and ready.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: thefireofasaint
2006-07-06 02:22 am (UTC)
John is more or less as far away from Lobster Johnson as their surroundings permit.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: lina_inverse
2006-07-06 02:32 am (UTC)
John! Lina approaches, grinning fiercely.

"Hey! You ready to show me just what you can put out, power-wise?"
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: thefireofasaint
2006-07-06 02:33 am (UTC)
"More than," he answers, smiling a little bit in return, which helps soothe the adrenaline-jitters some.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: lina_inverse
2006-07-06 02:35 am (UTC)
Lina is keyed up. A nice mix of anger and eagerness - it comes from being a seasoned adventurer. This isn't a walk in a park - but it's also about the level she's used to. Walk in, take out a chump, walk out....

The 'don't destroy everything with property damage' caveat is a little tricky, though.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: lobsters_claw
2006-07-06 02:34 am (UTC)
Lobster's been looking the area over, and when his blank, goggled visage scans past where John's standing, he pauses. His expression is, as ever, inscrutable. How much does he know??

After lingering just long enough to make John uncomfortable, he moves on.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: thefireofasaint
2006-07-06 02:35 am (UTC)
The movie theater! God, John knew that would be way too convenient for the guy to pass up.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: eileen303
2006-07-06 03:33 am (UTC)
Eileen comes over, batting pine branches out of her face and holding up a moderately thick broken-off branch with a sharp end. "Hey John, could you do me a favor? Scorch the end of this? Just to blacken it, to write with."
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: thefireofasaint
2006-07-06 03:36 am (UTC)
He nods and reaches out to the stick. The closer proximity seems to help his control so he doesn't overdo it. It's a little flame, but an intense one that quickly blackens the end.

"... there, should work."
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: derek_bliss
2006-07-06 02:24 am (UTC)
Derek has followed, silently, making note of his surroundings and the people he's with. When they come to the carving in the ground, he watches with careful eyes, even though he doesn't really understand the writing. So he listens to Henry and Eileen as they puzzle it over.

(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: onlyroger
2006-07-06 02:12 am (UTC)
"It's kind of beautiful..." Roger mutters, surveying the landscape around them. No matter how nice it looks, they're surrounded by possible hiding places for.... well, for whatever they might find themselves up against out here.... and the homunculus isn't going to let his guard down for a minute.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: eileen303
2006-07-06 02:17 am (UTC)
Eileen can't help smile a little at that. "Yeah, it is, isn't it? Town's got a bad reputation in the Nexus for a reason, but, this here's the real one."
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: venus_afflicted
2006-07-06 02:23 am (UTC)
"Yeah, stunning... for a place that spawned a cult boy and all his kind." Growling out the words, smoking still as if he was just lighting one from the next, oh yeah, he was.

Edgy, looking this way and that as if just waiting for them to be jumped.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: eileen303
2006-07-06 02:34 am (UTC)
She frowns, and really does manage to say it this time with minimal defensiveness, versus a couple such debates that have cropped up in the Nexus from time to time. "And a thousand very decent people, too. The town of Silent Hill didn't create Walter, 'his kind' did."
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: venus_afflicted
2006-07-06 02:49 am (UTC)
He shrugs. "Yeah, I get that but seriously hard to look at it and see anything but that fucker. Sorry.' He's trying, and later he'll probably do something to make it up to her. Later, when he's like not stressing and panicing and hiding it behind that stupid, masculine pretend to be tough veneer.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: eileen303
2006-07-06 03:18 am (UTC)
It's not worth arguing over. Everyone's on-edge enough. She switches to something a bit more constructive. "You guys got the Holy Candles explained, right? They only burn for about 20 seconds, but ghosts won't come within a few feet of them, or they get stunned if they do. The ampoules have, I don't know, some kind of morphine and adrenaline mix, I think. Works like you'd think it would. And given the way that place works, with some injuries, not being able to feel them makes them actually go away. Gashes and broken bones and things, not so much, but bruises or a concussion or life sapped by one of the Sacraments, good for that. Don't take too many of them, the adrenaline's pretty bad for your heart if you keep stacking it."
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: venus_afflicted
2006-07-06 03:25 am (UTC)
Finishing his cigarette, field stripping it and then flicking away the filter, he listens, nodding. "Gotcha, Boss Lady." He couldn't call Henry Dad here. It was Boss. Just like Eileen. He didn't want to give a damn thing power over him by showing emotions for the people that he cared about.

"I'll try and play nice with the meds." He pauses, looked around and gave another shrug. "Sorry about being a dick about everyone else there."
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: eileen303
2006-07-06 03:28 am (UTC)
She shakes her head, actual humor in her eyes in spite of the surroundings and situation. "It's all right. They didn't hear you."
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: onlyroger
2006-07-06 02:36 am (UTC)
Roger glances back at Eileen for a moment. "A lot of the time, urban legends and hearsay reflect some aspect of reality." Somehow, he manages to sound far more educated than he really is when he says this.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: eileen303
2006-07-06 02:41 am (UTC)
She makes a little chuffing sound as she continues to try to gauge the space available for letters in the circle. "Phew, yeah, quite a few of them around here are true somehow. But I find it kind of tough to believe that the place we're headed into is the real one, and that," she nods at the blinking lights, "isn't."

A congenial expression fades, and her voice drops to a whisper. "Even if it'll feel that way."
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: onlyroger
2006-07-06 02:58 am (UTC)
He frowns a bit, perplexed. "This whole thing is supposed to be a trap, isn't it."
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: eileen303
2006-07-06 03:24 am (UTC)
"Hopefully not as much a trap as he thinks." She sits back and pushes some hair out of her face. "He doesn't know we're coming now, and he doesn't know it's like this. He expects us to just try to push our way in, force open a portal from another world. We're hoping using a different access point will buy us at least a little time before we're noticed. Maybe."
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: onlyroger
2006-07-06 04:16 am (UTC)
"Hopefully." Roger says with a nod.

"You've spent enough time dealing with this man to know what we're going up against, here."
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: dreams_of_fish
2006-07-06 02:17 am (UTC)
Abe stands a short distance away from Roger. It's hard to see beyond that cool, reserved look of his in the darkness, but there's a certain tension about him. Field agents of BPRD would recognize it from the harder, more personal missions where Abe was involved.

For others, a good indicator would be Abe's hand - it's firmly resting on his pistol's handle, ready to pull it out and administer lethal justice to whatever could stalk this place.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: unbroken
2006-07-06 02:31 am (UTC)
Henry has been trying not to look at where they are or focus on anything but the obvious, but this catches his attention. He looks around and replies with a muttered and bitter, "Yeah, it is, isn't it?"
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: onlyroger
2006-07-06 02:41 am (UTC)
Roger nods, squinting at a copse in the distance. "A lot of greenery... where are we supposed to be headed?"
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: unbroken
2006-07-06 02:46 am (UTC)
Henry takes a deep breath. "Well, if we do it right...down there." He points at the depression in the center of the hole. "...we think."
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: bprds_righthand
2006-07-06 02:28 am (UTC)
Hellboy paces and tries to stay out of the way of those looking at the runes. He hates the loud sounds his hooves make on the pine needles and stone, but he can't bear to just stand still.
His left hand rests on the handle of the Samaritan in it's holster and he waits for it and all of his talismans to begin to burn him as they did the last time he was here.

"Dang. Who was supposed to pack the boat?"
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: eileen303
2006-07-06 02:37 am (UTC)
A joke, but it brings up an important point that he might not have heard. "We're... kind of going to need to find one, actually. This key we've got, it only works once. One-way ticket, as far as we know, so while we're in there, we're going to need to find another way back out."
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: bprds_righthand
2006-07-06 02:45 am (UTC)
"Great. Well, I've worked with worse odds."
He looks out over the water.
"And I guess not everybody is up to that swim. So, time to find plan b."
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: unbroken
2006-07-06 02:37 am (UTC)
Henry does not like this place. He'd much rather have the world all messed up- it's more honest that way.

He hears the clacking on the rocks and knows that Hellboy is feeling impatient to move on. He is, too. "I don't think we'll be here long...."
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: bprds_righthand
2006-07-06 02:47 am (UTC)
"Good. Not that this isn't a great camping spot and everything."
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: governmentninja
2006-07-06 04:19 am (UTC)
Leon is just hanging back silently, though he gave Hellboy a slight glance at his remarks. He's been rather quiet this whole time, largely because he nothing to offer at the moment. He's not the leader this time, which, in a strange way, makes him more comfortable.

He's rather out of his element, but he knows he's with people who have been here. It's his job to keep the things here off their backs, so they can do what needs to be done to rescue Liz and defeat Walter.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)