?

Log in

Team 2: Uatchet - Would You Like a Rust Sandwich? [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
Would You Like a Rust Sandwich?

[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

Team 2: Uatchet [Jul. 15th, 2006|12:23 am]
Would You Like a Rust Sandwich?

realmofmother

[_monsters_]
This is the second post for Abe, Derek, Lina, and Lobster. If you are on one of the other teams, please do not read this post until the game is over! The information contained herein could give some things away!


Forest World notes
Your characters begin at the location marked "Start." Map key is as before, and wandering monsters are at the bottom of this post.

Important! This world needs to be competed before July 20th. We strongly recommend against leaving Forest World without a certain key ingredient for the purification ritual. You can leave without it if you wish, but then everybody will literally die in the final battle, so! >.>

Forest World Map



Entry Point
Oddly enough, even though you were certainly in a massive structure just a moment ago, walking outside and looking back, you see a squat round stone building situated in the trees, no more than two or three stories tall.

The trees in the forest are thick, tall and, unsurprisingly, dark. When passing under them, whatever light there is from the night sky completely fails to filter through. Wisps of fog hang like shrouds, and strange cackles and hoots drift out from the trees. Foul smelling, greasy gray sludge bursts from swollen bark; the veins of the leaves on these trees are oddly black; clean spots are generally obscured by red, spidery writing. The writing is incomprehensible.

These areas are thickly infested; if trees are hit by blades or bullets during the course of fighting or for another reason cut, fat, writhing leeches spill out and swarm over the ground, or perhaps a thick swarm of Hummers; or perhaps simply more of that grey ooze, running like an infection, and as warm as pus spilled from a human body.

In the woods just short of a set of large buildings, there is a dark well. Shining the flashlight into it does even less than usual; the light is swallowed immediately.


Factory
The factory has clearly not been in use in quite some time. It appears at first to be completely abandoned; the usual rust, rot and creeping decay are more pervasive here than ever. It’s an unpleasant place to be, but gradually the sounds of whirring machinery and slicing blades make it apparent that it’s also rapidly becoming increasingly dangerous. Drills jut at random, awkward levels, hissing blades spin along and across the floor in malevolent, chaotic, paths. Most of the machinery, in addition, trembles and wheezes and spasms, as though it could fly apart at any moment.

A glance overhead will confirm, if anyone had any doubt, that this factory was not, for instance, producing canned peaches. Giant, rusty hooks hold a large variety of limbs and organs, some of them distinctly animal, some distinctly human, some things it doesn’t bear thinking about. Occasional drips of blood drip down onto your party and into the machines with a sizzling hiss.

Assume machinery here can and will, if you like, injure your characters in a slice and dicey fashion.

Upon exiting the factory, you become aware of a sound that should appear strangely familiar, but in this quiet, sullen atmosphere it is upon first listen completely alien. As you move closer you will discover that a car has been left running for some time along the side of the path. All its doors are open and lights on, but they are rapidly dimming, and the motor is coughing in a stubborn effort to continue working. A rusty, blood-stained axe has been jammed into a nearby log.

A slip of white paper is visible under the left windshield wiper. Upon closer inspection, it reads:
"May 5
Mitchell is still throwing up. You can put him in a bathtub for a while, it makes it easier to clean up, but if he's in there for too long he starts making noise and all the kids get rowdy.
Speaking of which. Gennie must have held onto some paints from when they did the fence the other day, she made a mess all over the bathroom. Passed her off to DeSalvo at 14:00, he'll bring her back when she's ready to ask forgiveness and clean up her mess. I didn't have time today, but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to show the kids what she did and tell them where she went, or they'll never learn.
God Bless."


Mother Stone
Traveling further along this path leads to a fenced off clearing, at the center of which is a large, mottled grey boulder. There is a strange depression on the front face of the stone, and looking directly at it for too long raises the hair on the back of one’s neck. There’s no direct malevolence about the stone, just a great deal of strange, not-belonging-ness. An elaborate display of candles is set in the ground and a few wooden fences around the stone.

In the woods just beyond the strange stone, there is a dark well. Shining the flashlight into it does even less than usual; the light is swallowed immediately.


Wish House (Exterior)
The exterior of Wish House appears to have been constructed of rough-hewn wood, the sort of building those waiting for the apocalypse tend to do. A drooping sign near the front of the building reads:
"WISH HOUSE
Silent Hill Smile Support Society"

The front door is accessed by a sagging front porch covered in graffiti, drawn in thick black crayon, clearly by the hand of a child. The scenes depicted there are not particular graphic or violent, but they are born of innate misery and loss. The small figure of a child huddles in a corner while two larger figures far off make angry gestures at one another, punctuated by motion lines and angry red slashes. A small face gapes in terror from behind the fingers of a giant hand, mouth a wide, hollow O. Etched into the door itself is another drawing, this again of a little boy clearly caught in the throes of pain and terror. The monster menacing him is frantic, angry layers of black; the only discernible feature is a mouth full of teeth like bright white knives.

Surrounding the house itself are jagged and broken-down playground equipment - swings, a slide, a seesaw - and a tall fence that encloses the area and is covered in more childish drawings.


Mine
In the woods just short of a door set into a rocky hillside, there is a dark well. Shining the flashlight into it does even less than usual; the light is swallowed immediately.

Passing through the mine bears little visual significance, as it is entirely pitch black. The beam of the flashlight is swallowed almost instantly; you can see where to put your feet and little more.
Low crashes, bangs, and completely alien growls and shrieks often issue forth from the darkness, though they have no discernible source, and no attacker comes forward.


Toluca Lake Overlook
A handy sign hanging on the fence here will inform you that is in fact Toluca Lake. The water itself is dark, rolling silently in greater darkness. The fog over the lake is nearly thick enough to be liquid itself. It's a bit of a steep and rocky slope to get down to the lakeside, but it could be managed.

Graveyard
Many of the stones here are cracked or falling over; those still standing stick out like jagged teeth. One open grave will unleash a swarm of hummers if disturbed. It contains a cracked-open and unoccupied coffin with the numbers "11121" scratched into it, and the tombstone reads the name of your enemy here, "Walter Sullivan."

A small clump of graves in one corner bears a number of unusual epitaphs.
‘I couldn’t help them.’ ‘Where are you’ ‘Alone’ And the last, simply, ‘The lake is cold.’ Once the inscriptions have been read, the now familiar headache and red glow begin to seep into your vision. Victim 13 rises up and will attack very aggressively, but not pursue you beyond the bounds of the graveyard.


Wish House, Foyer
This was once a simple sitting room; a few battered, scarred child-size desks and chairs dot the room at various intervals. Lines of mold and decay streak the ceiling and walls, lichen and fungi peeping out of cracks and corners.
At first glance it appears, impossibly, that a light snow has fallen over the room. A second glance reveals that the entire surface is covered in tiny scraps of paper, a great storm of debris. If you choose to look at any of the scraps, they contain only fragments ‘despair for the receiver,’ ‘separate from the flesh,’ ‘sin’s temptation,’ ‘darkness and void.’
One piece of paper is intact: "May 12
Today is punishment day for Danny, he did terribly on his recitation of his prayers.
Gennie painted back over some of her graffiti in red this morning. Try keeping her in the basement this time. I'll bring ice in from town tomorrow for her face.
God Bless."


Wish House, Upstairs, Boys' Bedroom
The little bedroom is sparse and desolate, void of toys or any personal effects. A number of suspicious dark stains are smeared on the floor by one wall, and broken glass is scattered in amongst the marks. Despite the fact that from outside there were clearly windows in some of the upper rooms, there are none to be found on this side of the wall. There's a piece of paper on one of the desks: "May 10
Gennie's back but she's on probation. Walter's prayer recitation went poorly, they needed the cell open for him. Gennie fasts and gets no privileges until she's made amends. We're out of stew. Sister Ursula wants to lead the children in prayer tonight, I said okay.
God Bless."


Wish House, Upstairs, Girls' Bedroom
This little room is as featureless as the last bedroom; narrow bed, small closet, door hanging open to display the tattered, colorless ribbons of a few small dresses. On the bed lies a daisy-chain of paper dolls, beaming enormous, cheerful grins up at you. The only problem there is that the heads are sitting in a neat pile several inches away from the strip of bodies.

Wish House, Southeast Room (without the key)
The bathing area at Wish House features a great number of tubs lined up like loaves of bread. The order of the day, as per usual, is rust and rot, great streaks of the strange, dull brown into which all bodily matter eventually fades—blood, flesh, hair, all returning to the same roots.
One wall and several of the tubs have been taken over by frantic writing, long lines of text struck against those surfaces in thick, determined hand. Most of the letters are black, but some stand out in yellow and red, strange and sharp against the dull surface of the wall. http://www.mahoushojo.com/spirit-stone/wishhousepuzzle.jpg There is a keyhole in the "o" of the word "Mother." Check with a GM if you think you know where the key is.

There's a piece of paper in one of the tubs: "May 14
The prison staff called last night, Mitchell had gone to God before sunrise. If the children ask after him, say no more than that, and remind them that God perceives all wickedness.
Gennie painted over more letters, I think she might have used vomit. Tell DeSalvo to pick her the fuck up already, would you?
God Bless."


Wish House, Southeast Room (with the key)
When you return with the key, the wall has changed: http://www.mahoushojo.com/spirit-stone/wishhousepuzzleend.jpg The keyhole remains in the "o" of "Mother." Inserting the key causes the wall to swing inward, a secret door to the southwest room on the map.

The southwest room is very simple. There is a low-set table with a bloody knife set on it, possibly some kind of altar. And there is a hole in the wall, about four feet in diameter, with unreadable red symbols written around it. We strongly recommend against passing through this hole without a certain key ingredient for the purification ritual, or after July 19th. Please inform the GMs when your characters use the hole, and congratulations, you have completed your two worlds!

Enter The Hole? [yes] [no]




Monsters
All monsters can be killed. If you want to go for extra atmosphere, monsters may get back up again after being knocked down unless you stomp them good. ;-)

Bottoms
Appearance: A large odd-looking fleshy creature, with semi-hardened skin in some places, and exposed wiry musculature in others. It has oversized hands for feet, and there's just a lump where its head should be. Its actual head, with a contorted human face, takes the place of a lower torso. It groans occasionally as it moves, and when it's struck.
Movement: It gets around using its oversized hands, and has no problem balancing on one to take a swipe with the other. It can "sprint" at the same speed that a person can.
Attacks: It attacks by striking the target with one of its oversized hands, and packs a surprising amount of strength in the blow. Note that, because it attacks with what is effectively a leg, it cannot attack while on the move.
Defenses: Its skin is somewhat hardened, deflecting some blunt melee blows. It takes a lot of damage to take it down.
Probable Location: Anywhere.

Gumhead (Grey or Red)
Appearance: It stands about 5'5'' and looks and sounds apelike. Its flesh seems to be rotting, and some of them have a second face apparently trying to emerge from its neck. Some of them carry long blunt weapons, lead pipes or branches or golf clubs or the like. Often appear in groups of 2-4.
Movement: They walk on two legs like a human, awkward-looking but surprisingly nimble on their feet. You can outrun them, but they're pretty good at dodging hits.
Attacks: Attacks with its blunt weapon, or just trying to pummel you with its hands. They're quiet adept at stealing a melee weapon from your hands and turning it against you.
Defenses: Tough to get solid hits on in melee, and because of its jerky movements, it's hard to shoot consistently. It takes a fair beating to take one down.
Probable Location: Anywhere.

Hummer
Appearance: A bat-like creature with a long sharp beak. Its wingspan is about two handspans, and it sounds like a buzzing insect as it flies. Tends to hide in a shadowy spot, in a corner or under an awning, until you pass by. They usually come in groups of 3-6.
Movement: Flies, but isn't very agile in the air.
Attacks: Scrapes or gashes you with its hooked proboscis as it flies by. Not very damaging.
Defenses: One blow is enough to elicit a bird-like screech and take it out.
Probable Location: Anywhere.

Sniffer Dog
Appearance: Patches of it have fur, but the rest looks as though it's had its skin carefully stripped away. Its long tongue drags along the ground, and it's often found feeding on the corpses of dead Sniffers. Tend to appear in packs of 2-3.
Movement: Just like normal dogs. Very difficult to outrun.
Attacks: Mostly biting, sometimes clawing as well.
Defenses: A couple of blows are enough to take it down.
Probable Location: Anywhere.

Tremer (Red or Blue)
Appearance: A leech, bluish or reddish in color. Varies in size from a few inches long to about the size of a small dog. There tend to be about a dozen of them in a location if they're there, and they especially will cluster around and feed upon the corpses of dead monsters.
Movement: It can inch along the walls, floor, or ceiling, leaving a trail of slime. Sometimes it loses its grip on the ceiling and falls to the floor, or onto you if you're unlucky.
Attacks: It may sluggishly try to latch onto exposed skin for a feeding.
Defenses: One blow causes it to splatter.
Probable Location: Inside trees.

Ghosts
Although appearance, speed, and power vary by Victim, all ghosts behave essentially alike.
Appearance: Ghosts make low strange moaning noises from time to time, but are otherwise silent.
Movement: Ghosts float, sometimes just above ground, sometimes well above it. They can pass through walls, but it's a difficult process. They must struggle to pull themselves through, leaving trails behind them of what looks like molasses (see linked image). For this reason, most ghosts will not bother to pursue you if you go to another location.
Attacks: -An "aura of damage" surrounds all ghosts. If you are within about ten feet of the ghost, it begins to affect you, growing stronger the closer to the ghost that you are. Your life begins to literally leave you. This manifests as a feeling of weakness, red and blurred vision, a buzzing or ringing in your ears, and a headache so powerful that it can effectively paralyze you at close range to the ghost. Any open wounds that you have may begin to bleed badly, and you feel cold. A healthy person exposed to this effect uninterrupted for about three minutes, dies. If you are wearing a Saint Medallion, however, the effect on you is completely negated.
-The voluntary attack that ghosts use is to reach into your chest cavity and constrict your heart, paralyzing you and causing more and more harm the longer the contact is maintained. Sometimes this attack causes blood to appear over the entry point, but it does not actually cause a wound. Ghosts are reluctant to touch you if you're wearing a Saint Medallion.
Defenses: Ghosts cannot die. Dealing a sufficient amount of melee damage will cause them to fall to the ground and be inactive for about 15 seconds. Usually, this takes the equivalent of several axe blows, or a full clip of regular ammunition. Shooting a ghost with a single silver bullet causes them to the ground and writhe, gasping and making a strange sucking noise, for about 30 seconds.

Victim 04
Appearance: A balding middle-aged man, wearing blue suspender trousers that are falling off one side. He carries a trowel.
Attacks: Victim 04 can use his trowel as a weapon in addition to normal ghost attacks. He prefers digging at one's face or chest with it. The damage inflicted by his "aura" and heart-constricting attacks are average.
Probable Location: Anywhere.

Victim 12
Appearance: A teenage boy in a brown beanie hat, his head slowly wobbles from side-to-side in an unnatural way.
Attacks: His attacks deal moderate damage, but he's not very aggressive.
Probable Location: Anywhere.

Victim 13
Appearance: A middle-aged woman who makes gurgling noises sometimes. When she's knocked down, dark water sometimes bubbles up out of her nose and mouth.
Attacks: She's quite slow, and her aura causes minimal damage. Her heart-constricting attack is unusually powerful, though.
Probable Location: The Graveyard and Toluca Lake Overlook.

Victim 14
Appearance: A man in a brown sweater. Sometimes, as he reaches for you, you can hear the sound of bones wetly cracking.
Attacks: Quite aggressive, and his "aura" saps life more quickly than those of the previous ghosts.
Probable Location: Near Wish House.

Victim 17
Appearance: A young man perpetually on fire, writhing in agony. If you're wearing a Saint Medallion, the fire that covers him dies down a bit. He holds a broken metal chalice in one hand.
Attacks: Victim 17 can use the jagged chalice as a gashing weapon in addition to the usual attacks. He's somewhat slow, and his heart-constricting causes moderate damage, but his aura is unusually powerful. Additionally, the flames can and will burn those who fight him at close range, even those who are usually impervious to fire.
Probable Location: He will persistently pursue you throughout Forest World. Highly likely to appear at the Mother Stone and by the unmanned car.
linkReply

Comments:
[User Picture]From: dreams_of_fish
2006-07-16 01:35 am (UTC)
Abe is the first one to emerge from the building, and he visibly slows down when he steps outside. One reason for this is the new ground, rocky and filled with tiny broken branches - they sting the merman's bare feet a little, making him readjust his steps. The other reason is their new surroundings... While Abe was already getting used to the wet prison corridors, he had no idea what to expect from this dark forest. The air here is just like inside, stale and hard to breathe, with the thick scent of corrupted, rotting vegetation replacing blood and filthy water. Even the wind brings no relief - in fact, sinister sounds it evokes in the trees makes one wish for it to disappear. And worse of all, this area is large. With all the trees and crooks and holes, it'd be easy for a new monster hide wherever it wants and they wouldn't even notice.

For a moment, Abe feels they're better off staying inside... And quickly shakes his head, shaking off the feeling. No. If they'd stay inside, they'd never get out of here. That's exactly what Walter wants.

"Be careful." He comments to the group when he stops three steps away from the building. The broken pipe, a makeshift weapon that served Abe so well in the prison, is already brought up in preparation for swinging at whatever hides in the darkness. "We've no idea what hides in this place."
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: lina_inverse
2006-07-16 01:49 am (UTC)
Alright, outside! She's still explaining to Derek that she's fine, seriously - yes, the limp is small, she's probably only missing small bits of her calf and opposite thigh. She's certainly not pleased with the rips in her outfit, but glad that they aren't in bad places. She's really tired of being coated in gore.

REALLY TIRED.

"Careful is my middle name, Abe."

Sadly, the full name is 'Lina 'Not Careful Enough' Inverse'. Boots crunch lightly on the branches underfoot, and she seeems a bit more comfortable being outside. Open-ish areas make the fire mage a happy person.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: derek_bliss
2006-07-16 02:06 am (UTC)
Derek is another that seems to relax a bit once they're outside. Open area means there's more time to both sense approach and prepare for it, rather than guessing what's behind door number one, so to speak. Not to mention--trees and rocks make for good natural weaponry, as well as hiding places, should what the team brought with them fail.

The elation sours a bit though when that some underscore of rot reaches his nose.

Nngh.

"We need to figure out our direction," he says quietly, kneeling to check the ground for track and sign--try and get an idea of wild-life, if there is any. He brushes his finger lightly over dead and dying plants, shudders a little at the greasy touch of it.

"We'll have to be careful of the wind--it'll carry our scent."
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: lobsters_claw
2006-07-16 02:29 am (UTC)
Lobster is still a bit more pre-occupied about the fuzzy, confused, conflicted state of his mind, and so doesn't get much relief from getting out of the prison.

Derek's comment about finding direction, though, manages to penetrate the fog, and Lobster starts making his own examination of the area. Scouting the area, he finds a recognizable path into the woods. He turns back to the group.

"I wouldn't be surprised if the creatures here could sense us anyway. I've found a path. Come on."
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread) (Expand)
[User Picture]From: lobsters_claw
2006-07-16 04:46 am (UTC)

Outside the Factory

Lobster nods, then leads the group out the other side of the Factory.

Standing outside, getting his bearings, he hears a sound that he doesn't quite recognize, and he draws his gun from its holster in response, holding it at the ready as the continues along the path to find... a car, engine idle yet running, though slowly approaching the end of its ability to do so, and an axe jammed in a log nearby.

He looks back at the others, then approaches the car. It looks fairly unremarkable, on the whole, other than that it's been running this long... and except for the note under the windshield wiper. Lobster pulls out the note, eyes behind reddened lenses scanning its text, then shows it to the others.

"Mitchell... Gennie... those were names from inside that other place, weren't they?"
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: dreams_of_fish
2006-07-16 05:09 am (UTC)

Re: Outside the Factory

"Yes... From the prison." Abe responds, his eyes narrowing in an attempt to make reading easier. This is the first time when he's not visibly upset by the letter - the prison showed him enough horrors to render him numb to suffering in this place. Disgusting, yes... But also helpful. Makes thinking and remembering easier.

"Come to think of it, Henry once told about an orphanage called the Wish House and a large prison where they kept children... Perhaps, the prison was that place where we came from. That means the orphanage must be somewhere nearby."

Suddenly, a small gleam of light attracts Abe's attention... Like something metal reflects the blinking headlights. He quickly finds the source and approaches it to take a closer look. An old axe is lodged into a log nearby, its blade rusted and covered in blood. The merman frowns when he realizes that the blood could be the car driver's, but quickly recovers when he remembers one thing... He has no weapons. His pipe was broken and there are only five bullets in his gun. He should save those. Which means...

"As much as I hate this place..." He comments with a small grunt, removing the axe from its place and making a small swing, trying to get used to the weight. "...At least it provides us with weapons."
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: lina_inverse
2006-07-16 05:14 am (UTC)

Re: Outside the Factory

"I bet there'll be more things there we need to look at. Doubtful there will be anyone alive, though. This place sure doesn't seem to have much in the way of 'living' around."

Lina looks at the axe for a second - but realizes that Abe definitely needs it more - and probably has the strength to use it much more effectively. She gives him a thumbs up as he tests the weapon, then pauses. She's so used to the smell of blood that the new scent on the air has taken a moment to get through to her.

".. Do you guys smell like.. burning meat closeby?"
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: derek_bliss
2006-07-16 05:34 am (UTC)

Re: Outside the Factory

Derek keeps quiet as the others talk, inspecting the car and finally reaching inside to try and turn the engine off. He's still categorizing scents and sounds, sifting the team from the area. Although he realizes that making a sudden change in the environment might catch something;s attention, the car is making it hard for him to register much of anything other than he immediate surroundings.

Besides, if there's something around, it's bound to find them anyway.

He twists the key, then backs out of the vehicle, watching it sputter and then finally die. A last cough of gasoline and smoke stings his nostrils for a moment, and so he misses what Lina is talking about at first.

The movement catches the hunter's eyes right before the flicker of flame and smell of roasted meat. This is followed by an all-pervading sense of cold that freezes Derek to the bone and causes his muscle to spasm and lock.

This is evil is the one clear thought he has as the ghost lumbers in his direction, bringing more of its soul-numbing taint with it.

Havetomovehavetomovehavetomove

He doesn't manage that until it touches him, flames jumping from spirit carcass to live flesh. Derek shrieks, then flails, best as he can in his deadened state, and tries to get away.

(Reply) (Parent) (Thread) (Expand)
[User Picture]From: lobsters_claw
2006-07-18 12:36 am (UTC)

Left Path: To the Graveyard

Lobster nods silently, trying with questionable success to soften the lines of his lower face to look reassuring. Then they harden again, all business, and with his gun at the ready, he begins making his way to the left path.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: dreams_of_fish
2006-07-18 01:19 am (UTC)

Re: Left Path: To the Graveyard

Beyond the old wooden door in the fence, Abe and Lobster find another path. It's similar to the one that brought them to the orphanage, a narrow road surrounded by twisted, corrupted trees. However, there are no ghosts or monsters this time - and Abe decides to brighten up their road with his flashlight. A light source allows them to see another detail about the forest... Wherever they go, every wide space is covered with sloppy, childish writing. The letters are too small to read them, but the substance used for 'ink' is crimson. Too bright for blood, though... Paint? Or another visual trick? It's hard to figure out.

Eventually, the small path ends - and the two find themselves standing in front of a large brick wall. It looks like it was ornate and well-kept at one time, but thick flora and time did their work and eventually reduced it to dusty ruin. After a closer observation, Abe finds a small plaque next to a large rusty gate in the wall - it barely hangs in its place, but the writing is still possible to understand.

"Let's see..." Abe comments, his eyes narrowing as he leans to the wall and tries reading the plaque. A minute later, he tenses up and slowly turns toward Lobster. Judging by his expression, he's not happy about their new location.

"It seems there's a graveyard beyond this point... Should we check?"
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: lobsters_claw
2006-07-18 01:28 am (UTC)

Re: Left Path: To the Graveyard

Again, Lobster silently nods. His face is also slightly tense. How odd is it that a ghost might have any trepidation about a graveyard, a resting place for the dead?

He steps through the gate. A quick perimeter check shows that the wall around the cemetary are at least intact enough to make this path a dead end. It also shows what appears to be... an open grave, the dirt meant to fill it still in a mound to one side. Lobster waves at Abe to bring the flashlight near to see whose it's meant to be.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: dreams_of_fish
2006-07-18 01:40 am (UTC)

Re: Left Path: To the Graveyard

Abe complies, approaching the grave and directing his flashlight's beam in its direction... And immediately regrets this action. The sound of buzzing wings fills the air and a dozen of hummers - the same creatures they once met on the prison's spiral staircase - sweeps out of the grave and assaults the merman and his companion.

"Dammit!" Abe curses loudly, swinging his axe around in an attempt to push away the annoying creatures. "These things are everywhere!"
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread) (Expand)
[User Picture]From: lina_inverse
2006-07-18 01:13 am (UTC)

Right Path - to the Lake

Lina waits while people get settled out, and then moves with Derek towards the second path. Splitting up isn't her idea of a great time, but she's going to deal with it.

However, being half-alone gives her a bit more willingness to talk about things.

"You think the others are alright?"
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: derek_bliss
2006-07-18 01:21 am (UTC)

Re: Right Path - to the Lake

Derek seems to naturally strike out in the lead once they've started walking. He's carefully noting their surroundings--the heavy, thick fog, the rotted look of the land. Rust seemingly and impossibly growing from the rocks.

He really hates this place.

"I think that's kinda relative, Lina," he says quietly, "But I think they're about as okay as anyone is gonna in this place."

He gives her a slight smile as they keep walking, "You doing okay?"

Up ahead, there's a Hillside with a door, and a well just beyond that.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: lina_inverse
2006-07-18 01:26 am (UTC)

Re: Right Path - to the Lake

That and his legs are longer than hers, darnit! Bleah, being short - the bane of adventurers everywhere! Lina hurries to keep up, silently impressed that the ampoule still makes her feel as good as it does. She really should have still been limping, but...

"Sorry - I guess 'alive' is more what I was going for than 'alright'. They all know how to handle themselves, I'm pretty sure, just.. ugh."

As they start towards the mine' entrance, Lina's ears perk up - sound, something snuffling, breathing and rumbling around comes from that closed entrance - and Lina's not willing to open it if she doesn't have to.

"... I'm okay. How much did Henry tell you about Silent Hill, Derek? Did he or anyone else mention any gods of the place?"

Or.. is it just Walter? That question, luckily, is left unsaid.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: derek_bliss
2006-07-18 01:38 am (UTC)

Re: Right Path - to the Lake

"I have a feeling if something happens to them, we'll know," Derek says this with the calm assurance of someone who has had that very thing happen to him in the past.

"I don't know that much," he admits, "Just bits and pieces from listening to and talking to the others. Silent Hill is...kinda a mystical dark zone from what I understand. Henry got involved in the underbelly of the place because of Walter, who, I think, was using the people in that apartment complex as scarifices for a ritual that would make him into a god, or so he thought. I'm kinda foggy on the details, but I get the impression Walter was actualyl being used by a god-like being for it's own purposes."

He paused, looking at the door to the mine, then the well. There didn't seem to be any other way they could go other than through one or down the other.

"The being's name was Valtiel. None of the Silent Hill folk know for sure what it is. But that's what they tried to drive off last time so that they could kill Walter. I think this time around, it's just Walter we're dealing with, but his power had gotten pretty god-like in and of itself."

He makes his way over to the well and peers into it. Not even his vision can penetrate much past six feet. There are awful noises coming from there as well, but nothing appears to be trying to crawl its way up.

"Think we'll have to go through the door," he says after a moment.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread) (Expand)
[User Picture]From: derek_bliss
2006-07-18 12:44 pm (UTC)
Derek and Lina make it back to the ramshackle house with no further incidents, even though Derek can hear things scuttling around in the woods surrounding the path. He's re-sheathed his sword, but is walking with the grace afforded a hunting cat, and his head turns side to side occasionally as he uses all of his senses to keep track of their surroundings.

When they get to the worn area they pass by the wooden fence. He leads them to the porch, and sits down on the top step. He has no interest in checking the house out just yet--when the team is whole again, he will. But right now, it was more important they regrouped. Easier done if he and Lina just stayed put.

He spares a glance for the child-like graffiti sprawled over the house and fence. Done in what appears to be black crayon, most of the pictures are of stick children--hiding behind their hands, cowering in corners, some in pain that somehow makes itself very clear despite the lack of skill in the artists' hands.

In each vignette, the children are threatened by larger, darkened silhouettes. Some looked human. Others were faceless or structureless blobs, with only deadly traits, such as a mouthful of sharp, shiny white teeth, being visible.

"This place must have been some kind of hell," he notes quietly to Lina.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: lobsters_claw
2006-07-19 01:02 am (UTC)

Outside Wish House

Lobster and Abe's arriving can probably be heard sooner than seen. They're casual but cautious, as though they've at least been fairly without incident for the last few minutes. Lobster raises his left hand, the brand in its palm gleaming briefly as though to signal who was coming.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: dreams_of_fish
2006-07-19 01:08 am (UTC)

Re: Outside Wish House

Abe stumbles right behind Lobster. He looks spooked, but physically fine... Or as fine as one can be in this place. Looking carefully, one can notice the fishman hiding an empty ampule in his pocket. That would explain why he looks so much better than before.

"Nothing on our side." Abe speaks up when he and Lobster approach closer. "Nothing good, anyway. How about you?"
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: lina_inverse
2006-07-19 01:09 am (UTC)

Re: Outside Wish House

"Found the lake. Some dogs. Really funky mine. Uhm... Yeah."

Lina's face is clean! As are her gloves. She pats her hip, the opposite side from the sword. "I've got the vial, and I can keep it safe - are we ready to see if Liz and Walter are in there?"
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread) (Expand)
[User Picture]From: derek_bliss
2006-07-19 04:01 am (UTC)

The Well and The Key

Derek nods, walking out with Abe and onto the porch.

"Lina, Lobster? We think it's at the well. Coming?"

He doesn't really wait for an answer, just keeps walking, leading the way back to the well. He peers down into it once he gets there; it's still pitch black, with no bottom in sight.

"We'll have to dunk for it blind," he comments.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: dreams_of_fish
2006-07-19 04:22 am (UTC)

Re: The Well and The Key

"Nothing we didn't do over the course of this journey, then." Abe responds and moves closer to the well. He leans forward, reaches his hand into the wall and starts digging around for something... Anything that could provide a clue.

Soon, his fingers touch something slippery and cold... Abe freezes at first, but quickly realizes that he touched the water. So the well isn't that deep. Fine. He leans a little more forward, moves his hand across the water surface and finally comes across an object wrapped in wet cold rags.

"What have we here..." He says to himself when he pull the item out of the well. What him and Derek end up seeing is an old, wet doll dressed in what was once a blue dress. One of the eye buttons is gone and something is stabbed into her small chest, right where the heart is.

"Poor thing." Abe speaks up, pulling at the 'something'. It easily slips out and proves to be a small metal key in surprisingly good condition. "She held quite a secret in her chest."
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: derek_bliss
2006-07-19 04:27 am (UTC)

Re: The Well and The Key

Derek stays close by Abe, ready to grab the fishman if he should fall or something grab him. He's half expecting a lot of different things to happen--none of which does before Abe brings up the doll.

He looks the thing over feeling a pang of sorrow for a moment. All these kids...

Derek nods, then gently takes the doll from Abe, settling it on the ground between a few straggly looking, flowered weeds. Once ir looks confortable, Derke mutters some short prayer or another in latin and stands.

"Okay. Gotta go."

He's feeling the urgency now.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: lobsters_claw
2006-07-19 04:27 am (UTC)

Re: The Well and The Key

When Lina seemed uninclined to come out of the house, Lobster, having gotten himself back under control, offered to stay at the house, so that no one was by themselves and to keep watch. He wasn't too inclined to go in after Lina, though, so unless she makes some noise to alert him, he's stayed out on the porch to await Abe and Derek's return.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: dreams_of_fish
2006-07-19 04:39 am (UTC)

Re: The Well and The Key

Abe silently watches Derek recite a prayer over the doll. He's equally silent when the vampire hunter mentions they should go, turning around and walking back to the orphanage.

He's somewhat bothered upon approaching the house and seeing Lobster alone on the porch... What would make them divide even more than they already did? Did something happen in their absence? He hopes not... He doesn't question, either.

"We found the key." He speaks up upon approaching the porch, lifting his hand high enough to show Lobster the key. "Let's go back to the bathroom."
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread) (Expand)